Sunday, November 13, 2016

Getting Back on My Feet...Literally!

On September 23, I had surgery on my foot. The doctor removed a growth from the bottom of my foot and performed another procedure with a lot of syllables. I'm still not quite sure of the medical term, but he basically broke my toes and realigned them. My third metatarsal was lower than the rest. The pressure from this is what caused the growth on the bottom of my foot. So, he went in, shaved some of the excess bone off and broke the toe. Then, he pinned that toe in line with the others.

The surgery itself wasn't that bad. Not that I remember any of it...LOL. I had been told that I would be in a cast for 3-4 weeks and unable to bear weight for another week or so after that.

As a restaurant manager, I knew going back to work full time would be difficult. But, I planned on returning to work part time about 2 weeks after my surgery. While I wouldn't be able to be in the kitchen or out front, I thought I could get caught up on some paperwork and marketing.

However, seven weeks later, I'm still not back full time. I have been going down two days a week for 5-6 hours and worked my first closing shift this weekend.

I developed what they call "cast disease" from being in the cast for 4 weeks. My foot was healing fine, but I had no range of motion at all in my ankle. I was referred to a physical therapist.

Work was one story...my house was another one altogether! My boyfriend and kids did a great job trying to take over my role. My kids took turns cooking.


They did the grocery shopping...and usually came home with more cookies, ice cream and chips than anything to cook. They held their own with the laundry.

This week, I am finally able to bear weight. I am looking forward to trying to get things back in order, although I still have a difficult time with stairs, so the laundry will probably have to wait. But, I have been cooking a little more and have even taken a shower! 

I'm not really sure what I was trying to say in this post...but I guess I'll end it by saying that you really don't realize how much you use your feet until you can't!
Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment