Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Post-Election Red White and Blues

I'll admit that I'm not really one to follow politics. While I know that every vote does count, I just have a hard time believing that my vote could be "the one" that makes the difference. Growing up, we never really talked politics. I was living in a different state, not a resident of that state yet, for the first presidential election I was old enough to vote in. Not knowing what I was doing, I did not vote that year. From there on, I just continued as a "non-voter".

I know, I should be embarrassed to write this. In many ways, I am - especially now that I have children.

With that being said, I did follow along much of this presidential campaign. I mean, who didn't? There were record numbers of voters in both the primaries and the election itself. For the last year and a half, and especially the last few months, everything was all about the election. I watched most of the debates. Personally, I hated the way Trump seemed to avoid so many of the questions he was asked, and the fact that he kept talking even when his time was up. To her about his lewd, sexual comments and actions made me sick to my stomach. On the other hand, the email scandal and incident in Benghazi with Hillary wasn't much better.

Now, I know I don't really have room to speak, as I didn't vote. But, I just want to put this thought out there...

What if, instead of "choosing the lesser of two evils", as many people put it, we looked past the party nominees and gave one of the TWO independents running a chance? It really wasn't only two evils we had to choose from. It would have been nice if Stein and Johnson were also given a chance to debate. Maybe their debates could have been on a smaller scale...something that wasn't as "promoted" as the debates between Clinton and Trump. But something that could have gotten them some recognition and let their voices be heard. Obviously, without a party backing, their financial means weren't as great. They did not have a party or investors (or a personal bank account!) to back their campaigns. But, as Americans running for the President of the United States, I think they should have been given more options.

The election is over, and it is what it is. We will have to wait and see what Trump does moving forward. No doubt, he will have  a lot on his plate as he tries to re-unite a nation that has become so divided. I hope that he finds that strength, and does indeed "Make America Great Again."

But, just remember this during the next election...we really only see what the media wants us to see. Wouldn't it be great if we, as Americans, really had the knowledge about ALL of the candidates and made a well-educated vote based on FACTS, PLANS and STRATEGIES instead of NONSENSE?!?

For now, I will pray that Trump does what is right by the American people. He has four years to prove himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment