Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Thirty Days of Thankful

Every November, I try to post something I'm thankful for on facebook every day. Granted, sometimes I miss a day or two (or three!) but I always catch up. Now that facebook has the "one year ago" reminders, I've noticed a theme.

The things I am most thankful for in my life are the little things - the things that I usually take for granted. I am so thankful for my children - they are the light of my life! I am thankful that they are well-rounded, well-adjusted individuals that do well in school and have a wide variety of extra-curricular activities. I am thankful for the opportunities they have - from sports to music and from ski club to trips abroad. And, I am thankful that I am able to help them with their endeavors.

I am also thankful for my mother. I cannot express this enough - she has been my rock and my best friend for all of my adult life. From her support through my divorce to her devotion to my children, she does so much for me every single day. I laugh sometimes when I realize that I am turning into her...but then I realize that there is no one else that I would want to be like.

My job often causes me a lot of stress...but I am still thankful for it! I have met some wonderful people - employees, salespeople, customers - that have become great friends. I have the flexibility that allows me to be there for most of my kids' milestones. I am given opportunities to learn and grow. Most importantly, my job allows me to provide for my family.

In today's busy world, friendships are often hard to cultivate. I am thankful for the friendships that seem to flourish despite any effort. I am thankful that I have friends that I can pick up with right where we left off, even if it's years later.

Finally, I am thankful for the man in my life. He has been there for me through thick and thin. He treats my children as his own. He has given us opportunities that we would not otherwise have. He is my best friend and my soul mate.

I am going to try to keep these things in mind every day - not just during the month of November. Sometimes, life gets so hectic that we lose sight of the little things. Taking time each day to reflect on all that I have is a good reminder. I just read a blog that talked about "being" and not "doing". That was also a good reminder. Sometimes, we need to take a step back and live in the moment. Even if that means that something doesn't get done.

I would love to hear what things you are thankful for. I hope that you, too, can find the time every day to remember these things!


No comments:

Post a Comment